Canaan Bridges Consulting Inc.
On March 9th, Canaan Bridges, in collaboration with the Arbitration Place, hosted its Semi-annual Women Economic Empowerment Workshop. The event brought together entrepreneurs, policy makers, lawyers, academics, and civil society representatives to the virtual table to discuss opportunities and challenges in monetizing IP-intensive content in global markets. How to mobilize resources to make meaningful changes in the lives of women entrepreneurs was the core theme of the interactive event.
Four topics were substantively discussed at the workshop:
- An understanding of the relationship between intellectual property rights and business development (WIPO, Arbitration Place and Velocity Athletic Training)
- The role of international trade policies to international development, and more specifically how pro-gender equality trade rules empower female entrepreneurship (International Trade Centre – SheTrades)
- What is involved in scaling innovative technologies in regional and international markets (Apis Protect)
- Tips on licensing intellectual property technologies in global markets (Canaan Bridges)
Speakers at the table
- Tamara Nanayakkara, Counsellor – Intellectual Property for Business Division, IP and Innovation Ecosystems Business Sector, World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Geneva
- Dr. Fiona Edwards Murphy, Founder, ApisProtect Technology – Ireland
- Liz Roberts, General Counsel, Arbitration Place – Toronto|Ottawa
- Juan Hoyos, Advisor – Sustainable and Inclusive Value Chains, International Trade Centre, Geneva
- Helena Smolock, Founder & President, Velocity Athletic Training, Washington
- Judith James, Founder & President, The Beautiful Foundation – Canada
In addition to the business-oriented discussions at the workshop, Judith James, Founder of The Beautiful Foundation, gave an overview of how her charitable organization empowers women in Canada. The Beautiful Foundation helps women and girls overcome challenges and stigmatization experienced in abusive relationships.
Our next Women Economic Empowerment workshop will be held in late 2022.